Why your Internet Service Provider (ISP) should partner with the Virgin Islands Next Generation Network, Inc. (viNGN)
The Virgin Islands Next Generation Network, Inc. (viNGN) is a project funded under the Recovery Act (ARRA) to build and operate a world class open access, high speed, all-fiber optic broadband network in the USVI and connect it to the rest of the world.
What does viNGN do?
viNGN is NOT an Internet Service Provider (ISP), which delivers this high speed internet to your home, home office, or business. Your ISP would need to lease bandwidth on the viNGN network in order to provide you with a more cost-effective, higher speed, more reliable connection to the internet.
viNGN will also provide the benefit of “peering”: keeping local internet traffic within its dedicated circuit. Data which originates in (and is bound for) USVI recipients does not take the “long way” via undersea cables and international links.
- There is no need to send USVI-BOUND traffic across international or subsea links.
- More bandwidth available for local and off-island internet traffic.
- Local data can travel up to 10x more quickly. This also means fewer traffic jams (latency), and fewer server “hops” required to reach a destination.
- USVI data and voice inter- and intra- island communications more stable in case of links down to the mainland and rest of the world.
- USVI-based data centers, corporate intranets, VoIP, Wide Area Networks (WANs) and Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs) more cost-effective and available.
- Business and job creation as more business models become technically possible.
- Local governmental agencies, schools, hospitals will see immediate cost reductions as a result of peering, freeing up funds for staffing and providing services to the public.
Ask your ISP to partner with viNGN. It’s the smarter way to surf and do business. Contact Your ISP Today and tell them, "I Want My viNGN!"